Partially corrupted Garmin file

That phrase must be the worst thing to see when you’re uploading a ride or run to Strava. I had planned an epic ride to celebrate completing 250 Strava challenges, maybe even 250km. In the end I “only” managed 232km with almost 2000m of climbing, on one of the hottest days of the year. I also wanted to go places that I had never been before, not easy with my cycling.

I decided to head to Southport, although this meant that I had to cycle through Preston during the morning commute, not fun. Once I reached Bretherton though the roads became far more pleasant, with plenty of other cyclists, and a very good cycle path most of the way into Southport.


From Southport I headed inland to Burscough, crossing the Leeds to Liverpool canal a couple of times, and then joining the IMUK route for a few miles. At the village of Grimshaw Green I hit my first big climb, where I had to use every gear (compact with a 27 at the back). I then crossed Rivington Reservoir and climbed the whole of Sheep House Lane, where I was passed effortlessly by another cyclist, although he did compliment me on my beard. I’m not looking forward to this at next years IMUK.

At Belmont I seriously considered bailing out and taking the direct route home. Well, not too seriously. Next was the villages of Egerton and Bromley Cross, which was where my Garmin failed.


From that point I headed towards Darwen, skirted in between Blackburn and Accrington before heading to Whalley where I would be back on familiar roads once again. A quick stop at Longridge for more water and then back to Lancaster.

I was shattered when I made it home, but pleased with my “epic” ride, so you can imagine how gutted I was when only 144km of the total ride were recorded. I was following a bread crumb trail that I had plotted myself and my Garmin froze. I restarted it and continued, although in hindsight I should have saved the ride to that point and then started it again. Nothing to be done, after checking online there is no way of restoring the file, although I’ve had my Garmin for over four years this is only the third time that I have lost a ride. I’ll just have to do the ride again, because as we all know, if it’s not on Strava it didn’t happen.

One thought on “Partially corrupted Garmin file

  1. Pingback: Scott Addict – What a Bike | Beards and Triathlons

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s